Sports Injuries Treated By Your Chiropractor
Sports are a fantastic way to stay healthy, have fun, and engage with others. Best of all, you don't have to be a professional athlete to enjoy sporting activities. Tens of millions of Americans engage in sports and the vast majority of Americans have played at least one type of sport at some point in their life.
But while these sports can provide numerous benefits, they can also cause sports injuries that may leave you frustrated and in pain. Here at Spinal Health Center West Monroe, we are proud to offer an array of services to help you on your road to recovery.
Common Sports Injuries
- Sprains and strains: A sprain happens when the ligaments that connect your bones are stretched too far or otherwise become torn. This type of sports injury often occurs in the ankles or wrists, such as when a tennis player overextends his or her swing. Chiropractic adjustments can help treat the pain and expedite the healing process.
- Shin splints: This is a medical term used to describe an injury and the pain that occurs along the front bone of the lower leg. Shin splints most commonly occur in runners or by athletes who participate in sports that involve a lot of running, such as soccer. Shin splints occur due to overextending oneself when running on hard surfaces, with unsupportive shoes, or when not properly stretching before running. Chiropractic adjustments by your chiropractor can help expedite the healing process and reduce your pain.
- Knee injuries: Knees take on a lot of wear and tear but they are incredibly prone to injuries. Tendinitis, runner's knee, and bruising of the cartilage are just a few of the common injuries that can happen to the knee when playing sports or engaging in activities such as running. Your chiropractor can recommend specific exercises to reduce the risk of severely injuring your knee as well as provide chiropractic adjustments to heal a knee that has been injured.
- Swollen muscles: If you play a hard-hitting sport like boxing or rugby, then you may have been subject to a sports injury that causes swollen muscles. This is a common injury that can be treated with a mixture of massage and therapy.
- Strained muscles: Joints that endure repetitive activities or sudden overexertion can be prone to strain injuries. Muscles that are placed under too much strain can result in wear and tear creating little micro-tears in the fiber resulting in protective muscle contracture, pain and inflammation. Restoring proper joint mechanics with chiropractic adjustments and corrective exercises after the inflammation has subsided can expedite the healing, reduce your pain and prevent future injury as well.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Don't let a sports injury keep you on the bench. Call our Spinal Health Center West Monroe today at (318) 322-2250 to learn more about how we can help you recover and get back to peak performance after your sports injury.